I am excited to share with you our very first edition of NSD’s Debate Parent's Newsletter. After working with students for over a decade and having countless conversations with their parents about debate, it occurred to me that there should be more material available for parents who want to know more about how to support their debaters! Each month, the NSD Debate Parent's Newsletter will bring you information that we think debate parents will find useful as they help their children navigate both the debate season and the summer camp season.
This month we are bringing you answers to some of parents’ most frequently asked questions, a book recommendation, and a letter from one of our instructors—Dave McGinnis of Valley high school—who is both one of the most successful national debate coaches and himself a debate parent. Below, we've posted several previews of the articles in this edition. Click on the images below to be directed to our site and read more!
If you have comments, suggestions for topics you would like to see addressed in future newsletters, or questions about camp, you can always reach us by email at email@example.com.
One final update: as you may already know, registration for our summer 2017 sessions is now open. We have six offerings this summer
• The Flagship Session at the University of Minnesota from June 25 - July 15
• The Philadelphia Session at Bryn Mawr college from July 16 - 29
• The Texas Session at UT San Antonio from July 16 - 29
• The Middle School Session exclusively for middle school debaters at UT San Antonio between July 16 - 29 (with options for both a one week and two week session)
• New this summer: at Bryn Mawr college we are offering a Public Forum Session (July 23 - August 7) and a Congressional Debate Session (July 16 - 29)
You can find detailed information on each of our sessions on our new website at www.nationalsymposiumfordebate.com.
We hope to work with your students this summer!
NSD Executive Director